Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: JRiver 20 to 21? And other rookie questions

My take is that you should try to slim down your OS as much as possible first, then listen as you go. The simple way to do so is to invoke takmgr.exe service tag and disable and re enable various uneeded services, listening for SQ changes to suit your taste. Search the web for such uneeded services.

Networks do affect SQ in a big way. Disabling WiFi and Cable when you don't need them is beneficial.

When you use JRiver, do away with all the many functions (TV,Pics etc) that are not needed and listen. Use only KS or ASIO.

You will find after all this that Foobar, correctly setup, does not sound inferior to other players.

You can then try the tweak solutions such as Fidelizer, Jplay and decide if you need them.

The above assumes that you do not want to run other programs when you are playing music, including surfing, as you will find that shutting down antivirus and firewall contribute to immproving SQ.

Alternatively, get a fanless mini machine such as an Asrock CI320 and use it for music only, with all the slimming done.

The problem with 'tweak' software for audio is that the vendors won't say what they have to the OS, using words like 'optimise' and 'better timing' to attract users. In reality, there are so many hardware and software variables in computers that make one's optimisation another's non optimal solution.

Edits: 09/20/15 09/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: JRiver 20 to 21? And other rookie questions - fmak 00:43:28 09/20/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.