Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Anyone had success with the micro PCs for streaming server?

Are you looking to save money or just have something to tinker with?

I have the Raspberry Pi and by the time I added all the necessary components like case, Bluetooth, Wifi, keyboard, mouse, larger SD card, etc., it was no longer a mere $35. Still very cheap but not $35. There are many (Linux based) OS's available for it including some geared toward audio / media streaming. I used OpenELEC (xbmc) on my Pi almost 2 years ago but the whole setup is now in a cardboard box down in the basement. I haven't played with the Pi2 which wasn't available 2 years ago. I thought the original Pi was a little under powered for the things I wanted it to do.

NUC, Zotac, Jetway, Pipo X7, Habey USA, HP Stream Mini, Gigabyte BRIX, Asus Chromebox, etc... they're all interesting creatures but by the time you option them up to make them useful you're close to Mac Mini territory in terms of price, and still without all the built-in features of the Mini. Pipo X7 is cheap, cheaply built, and not all that useful but it was a fun toy to play with.

Not sure what you mean by 'closed' architecture. Mini is Intel architecture and you essentially get two computers for the price of one as it will run Mac OS -AND- Windows natively. Windows is not 'open' and neither is Mac OS. Can you get source code to Windows OS? It's 'closed' too. If you're talking about physical hardware architecture to add goodies to it, the Mini already has just about everything built-in. If you try to option up one of the above mentioned PC boxes to match the Mini, you'll be at or over the price of a Mini. And the Mini is so much prettier than all those knockoff wannabees. ;-) But I realize this is a religious war.

My Raspberry Pi, Linux (OpenELEC xbmc). Oh the clutter is killing me! Put it in a box, please!

My Pipo X7, Windows 8.1. Look Ma I'm a Mac Mini! No, really I am.

Mac Mini, Mac OS, Linux, or Windows, iPad Remote Control of Mini for 'headless' operation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.