Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Implemented fiber optic...

Bought 8 Fiber + 4 Copper switch, Media Converters, GBIC's and Fiber. All of this is Multi-Mode - much cheaper than Single Mode - especially not knowing how much change will occur if any. I stuck with the same company for all hardware, trying to minimize HW conflicts.

I went the route of longer fiber cables, and short (1ft) copper from Media Converters to devices.

Improvements were definite as I was able to swap back and forth between Copper and Fiber at my music server. Each and every time myself and a buddy found it easy to hear the differences. Grunge was removed, and more details become evident in songs (micro-details) with fiber. Some people call this quieter background which allows more music to come through.

Next, and I would not have believed it would have helped. I took the SMPS off the media converters and used an Anker external battery (5V/4.5A max). Dang, sure enough, the sound improved (slightly) some more.

Was all of this an earth-shattering change? No, but it was a change worth the cost IMO - especially when think about dropping the same cash on a USB, IC, power cord, etc.

This was not difficult to implement as most of it was just plug and play.

Edits: 08/24/15 08/24/15 08/24/15 08/24/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.