Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Digital Music Questions - Beginner

Greetings,

I've been thinking about ripping my CD collection onto a hard drive(s) to be able to easily access and play my music collection and I have a few basic questions regarding setup and gear.

First question is one that I'm most curious about and one that I must confess the most ignorant about, there are many formats available (AIFF, FLAC, WAV, etc...), my intention is to rip the CDs onto a HDD with as little to no manipulation to maintain its original integrity, no down or upsampling, no compression, no manipulation. Is this the preferred way or is my thinking flawed?

I also have a sizeable collection of SACD that I'd also like to rip onto a HDD along with my standard redbook CD and HDCD. I'm also looking into downloading hi-res (DSD) music. I'll need software to manage the collection and all of it's varied file formats, a friend suggested I look into Channel D (Pure Music) and Audirvana. Ease of access, convenience and archival storage are the main reasons why I'm beginning this endeavor and being able to access the music server via smartphone & tablet would be a plus.

Third question pertains to gear. I am of the tribe that less is more when it comes to my audio setup, and like to keep the signal chain to a minimum. My setup currently consists of a CD player and turntable into a integrated amp. This basic setup has served me well and I'd like to incorporate the server as seamlessly as possible. With my limited knowledge I think I'll need a server, software and a DAC (and associated cabling).

Guidance and advice would be most appreciated, thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Digital Music Questions - Beginner - Devils Advocate 09:41:08 08/18/15 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.