Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I think you really do need to look at the display in this case

If I were doing the tests, I would have used a wide variety of IM test signals. One needs to look at all the stages of signal processing and look at the effect likely defects and limitations have on the signal output by the system, choosing particular tests to catch each possible problem area.

Measurements are useful for engineering purposes when they are used interactively by an engineer. They are completely useless (if not dishonest) when used as marketing tools to non-technical customers. Even where they are directed at technical customers they are suspect, because the lack of interactivity makes it impossible to do hands-on testing to understand what is going on, which includes at least understanding the accuracy of the measurements and their significance. To use measurements to prove a "religious" point is the equivalent of counting angels on the head of a pin. (Especially as in this case some of the plots did show that operating system changes affected measurements.)

I was not commenting on the intelligence in the selection of IM test signals. However, now that the point has been raised, I suspect that there may be some merit to use of a low frequency test signal if one is looking to see low level non-linearities in a DAC's output. However, it might be even better to use a DC signal if there is a DC path from digital to analog to digital. This will show up a lot of converter artifacts as a change in noise floor. Sometimes one can infer this behavior by looking at published curves, e.g. DAC spec sheets.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.