Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Glad you finally got that

It took me a few posts to understand that you were confusing the test signal @ 60Hz with a hum problem. I thought you were commenting on the power supply spuria at -110 dB, which are a problem IMO for someone trying to measure the performance of digital sources.

The SMPTE IMD test is a legacy test that's been around for many decades. Like I wrote to Tony, I didn't realize anyone was still using it. My ignorance. I don't think it's a good choice of frequencies. I also don't think it's being implemented properly by the RightMark software, otherwise the reported level would be much lower.

But I don't understand what your complaint is with the 60 Hz component of the test signal. I'm confident that the test signal is a pure 60 Hz tone mixed with a pure 7 KHz tone, and the way the peak looks in the FFT is determined by window type. It looks like a flat-top window to me. If your complaint is the width of the peak, that's mainly due to the log frequency scale, and secondly a function of the window type.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.