Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Am I on the right path?

Record in the highest sample rate available if that sounds best. Don't worry about the quality of downsampling from that format to 44/16 to burn CDs. Keep the original recording files. Bits are cheaper than your time.

Two reasons:

1. Modern sample rate converters don't lose precision when doing non-integer conversions. The math is more complicated, but computers are much faster than they used to be and the software is much improved. The filtering parameters you use to downsample to 44 kHz will impact the results, but the original PCM sampling rate will not matter.

2. Once you have the high resolution recording and listen to it you may begin to appreciate that the CD format is junk and not worth worrying about. Hence my suggestion to save the orignal high resolution transfers. Most likely, you will get better results recording at 192 kHz than 96 kHz, but you will have to test this with your equipment. Indeed, if you have an inexpensive analog to digital converter, it is even more likely, in my experience, that you will get better results running at the highest available sampling rates.

Another benefit will come later if you try to run audio restoration software on the transfers. This will run better (e.g. do a better job of automatically declicking vinyl rips) made at higher sampling rates, but it will take more time unless you have a very fast computer.

Realize that if you haven't done this kind of work before, you will get more skillful over time and want to redo your early efforts. This can go on for months or years. Take your time and listen carefully to your results and compare the original playback of the LPs with your rips. Transferring analog media to digital is not a mechanical process like ripping a CD to disk. It is important to become skillful at detecting problems so you can maintain a high level of quality control and an efficient operation, given your available equipment.

One essential item of equipment for ripping, or even just listening to LPs, is a vacuum record cleaning machine.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.