Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Am I on the right path?

Ok, early next week, I should have everything together to start transferring vinyl to my music player dedicated PC. Yup, including a Jitterbug. I got JRiver and Vinyl Director.

The guy at my local Audio Store, tells me I should always use bit rates that divide evenly down, for burning CDs. So, even though my HRT Linestreamer will do 24/96, I am planning on recording in 24/88. That way, if I burn 16/44 CD-Rs they will be a simple conversion. Is this correct? It sounds like it makes sense. I did one test using my Benchmark as the attenuator for the ADC, at 24/88 and liked the results. Am I hurting quality by not going with 24/96? Odds are I will be burning a very small number of CDs, just for friends.

And, I originally planned on using the 1TB hard drive in the laptop, backing up to an external 2TB drive. He said all files[music] should be kept on an external hard drive, and that I should get a 250GB solid state hard drive for the laptop, just for the operating system and players. I found this out after I had received the new Toshiba laptop. I'm not sure how I would move the operating data to a solid state hard drive. I don't want to turn the new laptop into a non working device. Oh, I got a Toshiba Satellite L55DC5269 Laptop with Windows 10 with 18 months no interest financing. I couldn't find that with a Mac Mini, and have always been a Windows user.

Any advice will be appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Am I on the right path? - Jeff Starr 10:54:24 08/15/15 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.