Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The "STATE" of Computer Audio/Digital Playback

My plan for using the Auralic Aries and Lampizator Levei 4 DAC:

Aries is connected to DAC with BOTH USB and COAX digital cables.
For PCM files up to 24/192 (99.9%) I will use the COAX .
For DSD and DXD type files I will use USB.
Since changing from PCM to DSD requires flick a switch on the back of the Lampizator DAC, I will then also flick the switch that changes the input from COAX to USB.

I agree that USB as digital audio output/input remains a work in progress and am glad I have the option to stream though the COAX.
The Auralic Aries addresses a lot of the USB shortcomings - but not all. Today I also will take delivery of an item called the Uptone Audio Regen that "conditions" the digital signal at the USB input of the DAC (it's mostly about reducing noise and impedance matching).

For now I'm using the Aries with a 4TB hard drive plugged directly into it. It contains over 40,000 songs/files and 3,000+ albums. Over half of these are high resolution.
The Aries can also be used to do wireless streaming off the network and internet. At some point I'll probably set up network attached storage and stream my music off of the network instead of the USB drive.

Edits: 07/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.