Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: A little help please, so I can properly follow this s%&t-show...

As i understand it...

Music Servers are more all in one units. They're more likely to have a more typical multi-purpose mainboard, a hard drive, video card, as well as the playback software & (often) a display. Some of them have amps and DACs built in as well, - like the Sonos or Olive.

As opposed to network file players, which typically do not have hard drives, - (one can turn the Bryston & the Aurender N100 into servers by installing HDs, but they don't start out that way), - but have playback software that loads files from an external hard drive, a NAS drive via ethernet, or streams over the Internet.

The SBT, Sonore, Bel Canto, Sim Audio Mind, & Aurilic Aries are network file players.

One can also install LMS, (and of course other software), on a NAS drive connected, - (most typically), - via ethernet, - and that is sometimes also called a server: {but I would hazard that folks just refer to it as a NAS drive, cause more and more people are using NAS for multiple media}.

I don't see much of an issue with the above, and believe that is how those terms are widely used. A "server" stores the files, the player plays them.

I have always been critical of music servers & all-in-one devices, not only for the price, inflexibility in sharing out the files, but for the maintenance reasons that Abe cited in his OP.

I was confused at one point, (maybe by other posts than Abe's main one above), where I thought that the word "appliance" was used to mean a network file player and not a "server."

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

Edits: 07/23/15 07/23/15 07/23/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.