Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Recoupment

Boy, there's a contractual vocabulary word you would need to know if you were a musician; recoupment.

What it means for a record company is this; every dime they spend on producing the artists album is taken off the top of the artist's cut, until the entire amount is repaid. That is the artist or band is solely liable for the production cost. I've read of bands that recorded and sold albums that went gold only to find out they never made a dime. They were livin' too large during the recording session.

Really your average record exec is about one step above a pimp.

All this to say that a capital outlay of $1000 is a joke to the record companies. It used to be that they could justify their 40% because they did have real capital outlays, like manufacturing the records and shipping them to market. You used their established distribution network. They even said that the 40% helped all the other bands whose records didn't ever break even. It's harder for them to say all that now.

Yes yes, a Sonoma DSD workstation costs $16K, but so does an audiophile approved Playback Designs DAC. You can be sure the record label would amortize the hell out of that Sonoma. When they get on the bandwagon they will rotate engineers on those workstations by shift, and that engineer's chair will never get cold. If they were really smart they would sell them direct from their own website. I already see that to an extent. Back in the day they probably had agreements against this, but these days, goodness knows - anything goes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Big speakers and little amps blew my mind!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.