Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: My computers give me a lot more trouble than my music players

All hardware will eventually break or have other issues but...

My post is about a software update that crippled the Sony HAP-Z1ES 'appliance' which put the appliance users at the mercy of Sony for a fix. Three weeks in this case according to some reports.

I think if we were able to compare the number of people affected by a botched upgrade like the one you posted to the number of people affected by operating system updates gone awry, viruses and malware, and other common computer problems - the latter would but much higher.

That's a possibility but the savvy computer user can recover on his own and rather quickly w/o being at the mercy of an appliance vendor like Sony for a software fix. This holds true for most such appliances that do not give the user access to the inner workings under the hood so to speak.

As for OS updates gone awry, you don't update your production system (main music server) without first having a tested and proven way to revert back to a previous state. A complete bootable backup works for me. If an OS update or player software upgrade cripples my system, I simply boot off the backup and I'm up and running again in 1-minute, not three weeks.

As for viruses and malware, you don't use the music server in a way that will allow viruses and malware to infest the system. If you do, there are firewalls and scanners for malware and viruses.

So the computer might require a little more knowledge to operate and maintain but you're not left with a crippled or bricked player while you wait and hope that the vendor fixes a software problem for you.

Yes, there are trade-offs:

- The simplicity of an appliance with the downside of being dependent on the appliance maker to fix it when a problem arises or...

- A general purpose computer that puts a lot more control in the user's hands that allows him to recover quickly.

When your music appliance breaks you're at the mercy of others... ...while you wait for a fix.

I'm not sure why some inmates went ape crazy over my comment above. It's factual and not that hard to understand.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.