Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

My computers give me a lot more trouble than my music players

Yes, there is an argument that using a general purpose computer for audio playback gives you more options. But I think a lot of computer audio users are strongly attached to their playback chain of choice and when it breaks they're not going to be happy about switching to some other software. Likewise if a person's music player appliance breaks they're not going to be happy but usually have something else to play music they can fall back on.

A more important point in my opinion is that the maintenance burden of an internet connected general purpose computer is considerably higher than any media playback device I've owned, and the overall reliability of a general purpose computer can be a fair bit lower. I think if we were able to compare the number of people affected by a botched upgrade like the one you posted to the number of people affected by operating system updates gone awry, viruses and malware, and other common computer problems - the latter would but much higher.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.