Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I agree with Abe....Computers are hardly 'fading from the scene'.......

"Tablet sales sales will surpass computers by years end."

"Tablets" are just a computer form-factor. For most of us the necessity of using a desktop is now greatly reduced, but is yet to be eliminated. For the vast majority of things most of us do on computers most of the time, a modern tablet or something similar does the job. Shoot, I'm typing this on my iPad1 whilst sipping beer on the patio. A proper tool for the job fer sure...

But it would not be my first choice for carefully working photos, laying out PCB's, that sort of thing. Not enough application SW, Screen area, or MIPS. Not at this point in time anyway. At any point in time the main tradeoff is between energy and MIPS. As die geometry and capacitance decrease the chip power requirements do also while battery energy density is entering the area of a decent yielding explosive. As the airline industry is noticing...

The punch line is we are already largely to the point where I can choose the device for reasons other than raw performance required for an application. For instance ALL of my computers and portables do email and web browsing well, play music, view photos. Stuff that thirty years ago was rare and costly. Once VR goggles and nerve impulse or finger position sensors become common there will be no need to be tied to a desk. Ever.

Already we're pretty well unchained!

Freedom Forever... Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.