Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

To Tony L., and other connoiseurs of marketing literature: fresh take on Hi-Rez.

A post in Amp/Pre prompted me to take a look at Benchmark website, and read parts of their marketing spiel for AHB2 amplifier. I must say, I'm impressed, just not in a good sense.

Here's the part that is relevant, but you're welcome to read the whole thing:

Most power amplifiers limit system noise performance to the equivalent of a 16 to 18-bit digital system. The differences between 16-bit and 24-bit recordings are inaudible when the power amplifier can only deliver 16-bit noise performance. In most audio systems, the details captured by today's high-resolution 24-bit PCM systems are lost in a veil of amplifier noise and distortion.

Now - those whose experience matches the text above, please raise your hands (keeping mine down).

In short: with multitude of gear available today, it's not that easy to compile a list of things worth checking out, and trying to get your hands on for auditioning. On the other hand, it's easier to compile a much shorter list of products to avoid, based on your own experience, user feedback, and company's literature, stated design goals and principles.

Based on all the above, Benchmark remains firmly at the top of my "do not bother with" list.

Oh, and BTW - poster in the Amp/Pre liked the product, for what it's worth.

Edits: 07/02/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - To Tony L., and other connoiseurs of marketing literature: fresh take on Hi-Rez. - carcass93 12:06:38 07/02/15 (14)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.