Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Anything with an OS in it can be used as AV streamer - however, I don't get the attraction ....

I own a lot of different stuff and do switch around and try different things. What I've settled on currently and I think excellent is the following.

I am running an Intel ITX server motherboard with a 2.4 GHz 45 W Xeon processor, ECC memory and a PPA studio USB card. I also use a wide range pico supply powered by a 24V commercial linear supply. I've also run on lead acid batteries with a farad of capacitance. This motherboard CPU combo is what many people are doing over on the Jplay forum. The OS I am running is Server 2012 R2 in core mode, Audiophile Optimizer and the latest Jplay 6.1 streamer.

I am using this as a single PC just for simplicity, but also run dual sometimes as many people using Jplay do. Either way is excellent in my opinion. Server 2012 is a free 180 day evaluation so there is nothing to lose by trying it.

Phil has been receiving many requests for Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 10 and he is thinking about doing it. Windows 10 has gotten some very positive comments, so it is also worth looking into.

I would suggest you look at some of these options as you could try audiophile Optimizer and Jplay on your system currently, there are demos available. The new Jplay streamer would be perfect for you as you are already using a NAS for your file storage. You run the MinimServer on the NAS and stream files with Jplay using an android tablet, Apple tablet or even the PC as a controller. It's pretty flexible and actually does an excellent job of managing files and sounds great in my opinion.

Another great thing about the new Jplay is that it uses so little CPU that it can run on almost anything. Even the newest small Bay Trail systems like the ones that we have been discussing I think would be an excellent candidate. I have not gotten around to trying some of them but I intend to. Lower system power can also translate to lower noise, a good thing. Since the Regen does pretty much what the upgraded internal USB cards do I think these small systems are worth a try and might really sound very nice.

The rest of my system currently is pretty simple, I have a lot of different speakers and amps but lately I am running a Pacific valve NOS tube DAC, or a Aune S16 into a Lightspeed attenuator, Hypex amps driving Yamaha NS1000s. Amazing speakers IMO. I'm not a big headphone user but I also use vintage Stax electrostatics which are just about the most revealing transducers in the world. You can really listen into the music and pick out every fine detail and nuance.

Regards
Bob

http://www.highend-audiopc.com/

http://jplay.eu/

http://minimserver.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.