Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Length of usb cable affects SQ

Following discussions in CA about the merits of a usb A to B converter versus cables, I decided to put the length of usb cable to the test.

Up to now, I have used 0.3m, 0.5m and 1m cables in preference to longer ones.

I had a Wireworld Starlight 5m cable and decided to make up 10 and 15 cm A to Bs to see if SQ changes. Plugs are Partsconnxion gold plated ones.
The exposed part of the cables have been kept to a minimum and care was taken over construction.

The 0.3 and 0.5 m cables sound similar, with the shorter ones being 'marginally' better and preferred. The home made cables are preferred to the factory terminated Wireworlds. These have half exposed stripped cables under the black plastic moulding and they sound different (and better to me) when a copper shielded is placed around the plugs.

The 15 and 10 cm lengths are another story. Sound opens up and there is obviously more attack and resolution to the music, plus better hf purity. Lf sounds different but I am not sure that it is 'better'. I am listening to the 10cm cable right now and I like it.

I am trying to make up some 5cm cables using unshielded lengths from Wireworld to 'simulate' an adapter but I am wondering what to do with the digital ground. Trying to install a copper shielding is proving to be very difficult. Perhaps I need to extract the shielded D+ and D- cable but this is also difficult. I may just try without.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Length of usb cable affects SQ - fmak 07:11:44 07/01/15 (37)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.