Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: You know what's interesting about digital photography?

"I think it's a bit hypocritical to say that high res is OK for recording and production but not for playback."

I'm not saying that high res is not OK for playback. I was instead using your earlier example comparing photos to point out that for most, high res is not necessary for satisfying playback.

"There is a rationale for using a longer word length during mixing and mastering, but no reason why the bit depth on playback needs to be different from the bit depth of the original recording."

Have you ever watched someone cram an iPod or a cell phone with music? All but the tiniest minority would argue there is a very good reason for a different bit depth for playback purposes. Indeed, this ties in with my previous point: for the vast majority of listeners today, redbook quality itself is unnecessary. They are perfectly happy with far smaller file sizes.

I think high res files are kind of beside the point in this age of loudness wars. Do you want to hear even more detail in those screechy mixes? To me, the quality of the final mix is far more important than whether it is in redbook or high res.

JE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You know what's interesting about digital photography? - Jaundiced Ear 19:33:05 06/25/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.