Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Dc Regulator Comaprisons

Hi,

> You have said little of consequence.

Really? Or maybe only people who properly understand electronics find it consequential?

> Your remarks do not mean that transient tests
> are inconsequential either.

My remark means that transient tests are inconsequential EXCEPT in cases where the the circuit being supplied is bound to generate such transients AND where if such transients or changes on the power-supply are present the circuit performance is degraded.

Such situations exist (e.g. an SE Triode Tube Amp output stage is a great example), but they are comparably rare.

And so my point remains, that using a single test to provide "proof of superiority" is rarely meaningful.

Using the step response in regulators is especially meaningless, as commonly there is enough capacitance on the circuit-board following the regulator to totally swamp the actual regulators behaviour (as you can see in some datasheets where they show this response with different output capacitor values).

> Look at the data sheet for regulators, why does LT and others
> bother to include such data?

Because it is part of the standard data set. Why do Manufacturers datasheet show squarewave response etc. for Audio Op-Amp's which will never be used with a squarewave?

> If manufacturers present the data,

They do so, because everyone does.

> it is meant for comparison in applications where fast demands
> are made, as in a computer.

Funny thing is, last time I saw a linear reg on a Computer Mainboard PCB, CPU's were still dissipation (and consuming) constant power no matter if running full load or idle and yes, you guessed it, it means no change in current. Hard drives were a different story, but they started to put switchers on the drive board ages ago.

Modern Computers use aggressive clock scaling, even turning cores off to reduce power consumption, it is this what primarily modulates the power supply current demand. The regulators used are invariably switchers, since before Y2K or so.

So, cute theories, but please give them a few shaves with old Bill of Occam's razor, to see if they even can hold any water.

But as you are sold onto this particular companies sales pitch, please give them your money and keep believing in the efficacy of their remedy.

I am sure that the results will prove as spectacular an upgrade as fitting 75 Ohm BNC connectors to gear where neither the electrical circuit driving the BNC socket or the wiring from that to the BNC comes close to being either 75 Ohm nor to the actual characteristic impedance of the BNC socket.

I am looking forward to your writing on the topic, as anything that affords some levity is welcome during all that doom and gloom and greek tragedy on the news.

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.