Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: You know what's interesting about digital photography?

I think it's a bit hypocritical to say that high res is OK for recording and production but not for playback. There is a rationale for using a longer word length during mixing and mastering, but no reason why the bit depth on playback needs to be different from the bit depth of the original recording. Also, I don't see why you would need a higher sample rate during recording and production than playback. Or to put it another way, I don't see why you need to downsample to a lower rate for playback except in applications where minimizing storage size or transmission bandwidth is a major design driver.

Getting back to my original point regarding digital audio vs. digital photography:

One difference between the two hobbies is that audio includes some notorious anti-high enders and their followers who insist that playing CDs on mass market Best Buy level gear is as good as anything and who demand DBTs from anyone claiming they can get better sound, regardless of whether it's from better gear or higher resolution source media. There are even some like Chris Montgomery of xiph.org who claim that higher resolution playback is worse than CD. I don't see an analogous group in amateur photography.

The audio hobby also has a sizeable percentage of analog devotees who insist that digital can never be as good as analog. While I know there are still photographers who prefer to shoot film for artistic reasons, I haven't noticed very many people in amateur photography who still believe that film photography is technically superior.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.