Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: UpTone Audio USB Regen

From what I read, it's basically a USB Hub chip with adequate electronics surrounding it. It's basically a selfpowered USB reclocker and filter.
It's not been a secret for several years that active USB hubs improving the sound experience with many of the DACs out there.
The Schiit Wyred is a similar device.

Passive filter devices like the iFi USB filter IMO can't compete with those active devices.

Obviously the impact of such a device will depend on the quality of your DAC.
The better your DAC input stage, power supply and filtering the less impact should be expected.
IMO DAC manufacturers should use these devices to figure out how well or bad they are doing on that part.
Everything done by such a device should actually be done by the DAC itself.

As FMAK mentioned. There a quite some comments on the web that power supplies and related tweaks seem to improve the USBRegen performance.
Uptone Audio says they come with the best PS for the price. Hmmh.
And that's what surprises me. John Swenson - a guy who usually strives for the best - is part of the team.
A pity that he just manages to go half the way. Obviously he finally arrived in the real world where competition & market-price & volume & margin & cost dictates the outcome of a product.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

blog latest >> The Audio Streaming Series - tuning kit pCP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.