Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: I am answering YOUR post.

Abe's point is a good one. It rings true to me, in that I have a Mytek DAC.

All the problems of hardware/software compatibility that arise and complicate operating systems and cause support costs, overhead, and general cussedness do not magically go away when they are put into a package and called an "appliance". The resulting box is a computer and it has all of the negative aspects of computers.

One could probably find a way to add device support for some of the DACs by hacking the operating system. However, anyone with the ability to do this would be much better served building his own customized "computer", rather than pay a large markup over the base hardware for system integration that doesn't integrate his system. In the case of the Mytek, I did not try to see if I could get it to work on the USB of my Raspberry Pi. Among other reasons, the Pi used an ARM processor and the Linux binary driver was for Intel architecture only. The source code was proprietary to Mytek's vendor and thus it was a no-go. Depending on the processor in the Aurender this might or might not be an issue.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.