Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

People DO complain about high MP. Results should speak for themselves.

You will find plenty of complaints on dedicated photography forums.

The new Canon 5Ds(R) with its 50 MP sensor is certainly a recent point of contention. I personally always thought I would never buy a 50 MP camera, and I still won't, but what Canon appears to have done is to improve other things about and around the sensor to maximize benefits (Resolution) while minimizing downfalls (more noise at higher ISO). Comparison shots people are posting for 5Ds(R) vs. 5D III are showing 5Ds(R) photos coming out with more contrast and punch while the supposed increase in noise is not apparent until pretty high ISO's and the character of noise (banding, etc) appear much improved. I'm warming up to the idea.

The new Sony A7R II with its 42 MP sensor also seemed doomed with higher noise, but Sony surprised the world with world's first BSI (back side illuminated) full frame sensor, which appears to be doing a great job at reducing noise at high ISO.

So these ultra-high MP cameras seem capable of great photo's, not because of the high MP but despite it..

Edits: 06/22/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.