Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Some initial comments on the Ayre QB-9 DSD

Mine is an original "DSD" so I have no pre-upgrade reference to compare it against.

Apparently, the DSD upgrade is less about DSD but improvements in many areas of the DAC. I just read an article on the QB-9 DSD in Computer Audiophile linked below. The article goes into some technical detail on the USB interface, power supplies, noise filtering, etc.

I have to say that I am impressed with this unassuming basic USB DAC. It has a very natural or 'organic' sound to it with great dynamics. It's smooth but doesn't lose any detail and it creates a nice soundstage. The QB-9 DSD is probably the best sounding DAC I've had in my system.

I have to do some AB listening against the PS Audio NuWave which I consider to be an incredible "bang for the buck" DAC at $1000. I prefer it over the W4S DAC2 as the NuWave seems to be a little more transparent with W4S being darker sounding.

Interestingly, I didn't care for the $5000 Luxman DA-06 very much and same goes for the Wavelength Brick v3 USB DAC. Both of these were unusually 'warm' and very smooth but to the point of washing away a lot of detail. These DACs were also rolled off at both frequency extremes emphasizing the midrange.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some initial comments on the Ayre QB-9 DSD - AbeCollins 10:10:27 06/20/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.