Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: "Have you compared an upgraded Sonos Connect to a standard Connect going through a first-class DAC?"...

Inmate 'Bullethead' has.

To be clear, the Wyred4Sound upgrade is not an upgrade to the internal DAC but to the circuitry leading up to it.

From the Wyred4Sound web site: "This upgrade entirely replaces the mediocre Cirrius Logic CODAC and the associated high jitter clocks. The mod was designed to integrate the SONOS system into a high end audio system through an outboard Digital to Analog Converter. This new custom board is installed in the SONOS and directly converts the I²S into up-sampled SPDIF."

That said, I may have to upgrade the DAC in my system as the one incorporated in the Marantz NA-7004 is mid-level at best. Not bad, better than many CD players but not what one would expect at the $1000+ level.

AS such, I do hear an improvement switching back and forth from analog RCA outputs on the Connect to the external DAC in the NA-7004. Just not night and day.

Link below:

First they came for the dumb-asses
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a dumb-ass

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.