Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: " Directstream is super sensitive to input jitter, adding a regen will most likely help."

Hi,

> And this suggests me that this need depends on the specific case.

This tends to my point in all these exchanges. There are a few ways to do things right and many to do it wrong.

> I think that in the end the advantage of USB over spdif justify
> some efforts in its set-up.

Funny you mention SPDIF.

In all the years I also figured out how to do the same thing for SPDIF. The following is the spectrum (24 Bit J-Test) of a SPDIF signal with 50,000pS of 200Hz square-wave jitter deliberately added (the AP2 has such a function).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The upper trace is this SPDIF signal decoded using a "standard" SPDIF receiver (in case you ever wondered what 50,000ps of 200Hz square-wave jitter do to an Audio Signal).

The lower trace is the same signal, but here the clock system that I designed a while back for a very high end DAC is used instead, as we can see, another "perfect" result.

So, again, what matters most is how things are designed. If we understand the problems and requirements - then with sufficient diligence we will find and implement solutions that solve the problems and fulfil the requirements, even with systems that are by design sub-optimal for the given job.

And guess what, this kind of USB and SPDIF performance is standard for any of the digital products I have a hand in, from the cheapest sub 200 USD USB DAC all the way to the "Ultra High End" Tube output DAC...

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.