Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Ivan: Figure it out

It's a Squeezebox clone built on mostly (or entirely) off-the-shelf computer components, running a Linux distro and other open source software developed by contributors to the Squeezebox community. Expect it to do pretty much what a Squeezebox Touch can do, or do whatever the open source SqueezeLite player is capable.

If they really do have "custom" controller apps for Android and iOS, I have no doubt that they too are either closely derived from open source software or else licensed from one of the handful of developers of similar commercial apps.

Not that any of that is really a bad thing, and it's where the Squeezebox platform is naturally heading. Just that they appear to have put so little effort into it, just like all of the previous Auralic/SOTM products. How about a display? A touch interface? An IR remote? How about a small contribution to the open source software to make the server better? I doubt that you'll see any of those, and they will give ample excuses as to why none of them are good for you.

What they've put together is little more than a system that you could assemble from a Raspberry Pi for under $100 or an inexpensive Intel integrated motherboard for under $150.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.