Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Some more reading voor inmates who like the subject. RE: Corning *Optical* USB 3 cable for noise reduction...

Hi Archimago,

As always: very interesting reading. I love your blogs.

Just like you, I also used too power my computer from a separate power outlet. Being afraid that if I plugged the computer into the same power outlet as too which the analogue parts of my setup where plugged in, the ATX-computer-PSU would spoil the power for the analogue parts. Only too discover that my setup sounded way better when ALL parts of my setup where plugged into one power outlet. So it's really good that you encourage your readers too check their power arrangements, because it's very easy to go wrong while the cure often (not always) can be very simple!

In your blog you mention a cheater plug as a cure for ground loops (of course with a danger warning). But from what I read: a cheater plug should only be used as a diagnose tool. Only too be used for searching that equipment-part which has an incorrect earthing arrangement. And than cure/fix that incorrect earthing arrangement (the cheater plug is not intended for permanent use).

In your blog you link too a summary from Associated Power Technologies. But there is IMHO much better and easier too understand reading on the internet. This article: http://web.mit.edu/~jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf may be a much longer read but the graphics used are less 'conceptual' and are better showing how connections (ground loops) are created in real-life situations.

The Associated Power Technologies article is also frighteningly close too contribute too a common misconception. It says: "The planet earth is essentially an infinite reservoir of electrons and thus the best place to "drain" excess electrons from a system". While this is not incorrect, it's very important too keep in mind that noise currents always look for a way too return too there source. So http://web.mit.edu/~jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf might be a better read for inmates.

Looking forward too your next blog.

Edits: 05/05/15 05/05/15 05/05/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some more reading voor inmates who like the subject. RE: Corning *Optical* USB 3 cable for noise reduction... - hfavandepas 07:55:47 05/05/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.