Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Alternatives to USB for my DAC

Download the DPC latency checker and use it to troubleshoot.
1. I had a wireless network driver cause dropouts every 60s on the button - perhaps a poorly written driver that does something *vitally important* (not) every minute. Fixed that and dropouts were gone.
2. Are you using USB hard drive as well? Is your network adapter USB? Wireless keyboard transmitter? USB hard drive and DAC on the same USB port can be an issue. There are ways to figure out which ports are on which hubs - through the device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Click on USB Root Hub and Generic USB Hub and look at the power tab. It should show you which devices are on which (shared) hub. This way you can put different high-throughput devices (hard drive, DAC, etc.) on different or even dedicated hubs.
3. Try a USB expansion PCI-e card. Use it first for ONLY the DAC and then second ONLY for the hard drive. The same hub utilization tricks from #2 work here too...
4. Also, you should try and shut down any services you are not using but I cannot give "generic services" advice (due to different machines, OS, software, etc.) but I can say that there is a lot of background software that is just bling and stuff you don't use - and this is especially true with "pro" versions of windows with all kinds of networking features that home users seldom, if ever, use. You can learn up on tweaking services - Google is your friend. You can try www.blackviper.com and check out his windows service configuration tables, but experiment with services you are not 100% certain about at your own risk. It's good to track your default service settings for your machine so you can go back to what you started with if you suddenly have serious issues.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.