Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: A scattered answer

Hi and thank you sincerely for the very valuable reply.
Unfortunately my knowledge of SW is very poor so i cannot take profit of all the precious advice and recommendations.
So i have to stick with an OS in its stock form. The risk to damage it is very high. I am sure i would prune away something needed for the OS to work (already did that).
However my question is very basic, maybe trivial.
There are OSs able to run on very weak HW platforms, like mini pc with even Atom cpus or similar, 1GB of Ram and some GB of mass storage.
I see these OSs as clearly basic but also very efficient because they are able to get the most out of very little HW.
So this for me is the direction to go.
I see Android intended mainly for mobiles ... it is not a complete OS in its present distributions. Drivers are also an issue.
I do not know the Apple world and the fact that it is a very closed world i do not like.
So i decided to stick with Windows also for a reason of drivers availability mostly.
Windows 10 is too new.
To me a reasonable choice is then Windows 8.1 Core.
I am quite sure that a stock 8.1 Core with a nice SW player on a decent HW should sound very very good.
I have here a small Pipo X7 ... a mini pc with Atom cpu that comes with 8.1 with Bing preinstalled.
The "thing" has overheating issues (bad design of cooling system, almost not existing) but the sound i have heard even from its headphone out is very beautiful ... musical ... i would not say analog but ...

And i am convinced now that is not the Pipo but the OS the reason of this sound.

Another viable option would be Linux in one of its distributions.
But not 7 ... i am quite convinced of this.
So the end all the ramblings the solution for me is to select a OS able to run properly also on HWs with limited resources.
And then install it on a serious HW, like an Haswell with 8GB and some 250 SSD ... and it's done.
So i am leaning in this direction.

However i see that HW requirements for Windows 10 are going to be the same that the ones for 8 ... good !

" Windows 8.1
If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver "

Very good.
Thanks a lot again.

Kind regards,
bg

Edits: 04/30/15 04/30/15 04/30/15 04/30/15 04/30/15 04/30/15 04/30/15 04/30/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.