Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

A scattered answer

I have been working on slimming WIN 10/64 bit for the last few months.

At this point I am down to 700 mB when you add up the folders and boot files in c: but WINDOWS "says" it is around 850. I figure something similar to what happens in the registry where WINDOWS leaves lots of space for who knows what.

My SXS folder is smaller than SYSWOW at this point - 36 mB for SXS which is now mainly CATALOGs and MANIFESTS. Anyone who has looked within WINDOWS will realize this is almost unbelievable. Many thought that SXS is untouchable. It is not. SYSWOW is around 45 mB.

Of course, it is a very dedicated player at this point. I am using JPlay so it is built around that. I have retained the thesycon control panels and the JPlay ones along with file explorer, and task manager which I keep in the TASK BAR. Everything I need is right there easy to access. Included there is regedit and command line.

Needless to say it loads and closes down very quickly and is completely stable.

I now know what is required to retain. I can post a list if there is any interest.

I recommend starting with NTLite to get lots of stuff out of the way. This gets you started at around 3gB.

I am now starting on the registry which is gigantic and picky about what it will allow you to remove.

I have discovered some good tricks which I would gladly post.

All begins with changing permissions to Everyone.

Still a far cry from the 18mB XP that I used with cMP/PLAY.

JPlay requires almost nothing from WINDOWS other than the basic files which are required for it to work at all, similar to cMP/PLAY plus it sounds very fine. The new one, of course, is what I am speaking about.

In my unhumble opinion all OS slimming owes its existence to "Serge"/Сергей Степанов who brought this to so many people at the cPLAY forum so many years ago.

I find the small(er) OS to sound superior - not night and day but plenty of goodness to make it worthwhile.

Not for the faint of heart or the easily discouraged. You better have something like SNAPSHOT to make images of your last working OS since you will make mistakes and do not want to start from the beginning.

You cannot do this in a day but you can, once you know what you cannot get rid of, get it mostly done in a week. WINDOWS will not let go of everything at once. It will let you delete to you heart's content but it won't re-start.

WINDOWS doesn't really care which files are deleted at any certain time but it will not let you delete too much at one time.

I have found if you leave everything you want to retain running it will not let you delete the files needed for those things to work which is very handy. Nonetheless, towards the end it will let you delete things that it needs to restart!

This is a very scattered and condensed outline.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.