Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: May I enquire why you persist wasting time?

Tony,

> It's even more complicated. There are at least three filters
> involved:

While that is true, two of them are fixed. The third may be anything though, from Non-OS via Craven Apodising minimum phase all the way to a standard "not quite brickwall" type.

> This is correct, however this interaction is at the 176.4 sampling
> rate and above.

Not quite. Look at the time domain and you find components much lower.

> Doing critical listening is not a waste of time.

I never said it was.

But if you desire to answer a given question with such test, you must construct the test in such a fashion that it answers this question precisely and you must exclude the possibilities of other interactions giving false positives/negatives.

The test here does not meet these criteria. As such it is a waste of time, just like 95% of those the ABX crowd usually inflicts upon us (I actually did a meta analysis of all published ABX Null results I could find - this suggested with substantial statistical significance that in the whole "meta-analysed" dataset of "null results" reliably detectable differences were present, just the dataset used and the conditions set were adverse to detecting them).

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.