Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks for the replies, Tony and Presto

The intermittent problems can be the worst! The worst for me is when they happen often enough that I can't ignore them but not often enough to have a real chance of finding them. Reducing buffer sizes is a way to make the problems happen more frequently, possibly making diagnosis easier.

One way to get more information on Windows is to use the task manager to look at various processes, especially system processes. Look at CPU utilization, reads and writes, memory size, page faults. Get a feel for what the numbers look like when things are running well so that the problem items will be more visible when you hear glitches.

The DPC latency is another tool. You can try to correlate its behavior with glitches, and if you see this correlation then its a good bet that you have a driver problem. Disable various drivers and see what happens.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.