Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: The Amazing Wavelength Crimson / Quotient Q1

Look. In the early days I almost got stoned by people who didn't hear a difference after SW optimizations. Even Gordon was denying that there are differences for a long time. I do know very well, what differences they can make.

I'm doing software optimizations since almost 10 years.
And that goes down to OS kernel optimizations.

All these optimizations have nothing to do with the value of a bit. A 1 remains a 1 and a 0 a 0.

Software optimizations on the transport side improve the stability of the stream. Usually the system gets less stressed.
The less stable (powersupply, mainboard, USB interface) your transport, the more impact you'll experience from software optimizations. That's my experience.

And yes. A Schiit Wyred reclocks and repowers the stream and also filters some noise out. We know since years that active USB hubs (reclockers) will impact the stream. With optical USB you fight the noise. Asf.

However. All this and more boils down to the inability of the DAC to cope with the physical challenges originated at the "upstream" equipment.

There are DACs with reclockers, isolators, well done grounding schemes,
femto clocks, great powers supplies and still there are differences.

Unfortunately Gordon ran out of ideas after introducing his async USB stuff. Otherwise he probably would have solved the issue by now.
On the other side. Why should he? People are paying 19k for an imperfect
DAC. I think he can live with that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

blog latest >> The Audio Streaming Series - tuning kit pCP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.