Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Switching from internal soundcard to external dac

Thank you for all the replies !

I installed DAC, i didnt have to buy any new cables since i already had 3.5 jack to RCA from when my sound card was connected to amp. I noticed 2 huge differences.

1) noise level. I kind of hoped that DAC would solve that but i never imagined it would be solved to such extend. Before when i put volume to 50% on my amp, there was a very loud hiss coming from speakers. Now even when i put it to 100%, i have to listen very carefully to hear anything at all. I recorded this difference with my mobile phone. Ofcourse mobile phone recordings aren't relevant in compating audio quality but that way u can see the difference in hiss level. Its huge, i am going to post the recording here.

2) bass is stronger. Today when i was listening to music the way i always do i went next to my speaker and i saw the big spaker cone moving in and out. Normaly they didnt move no matter how loud the volume was, except when i was playing with some equalizer programs. Now it is all on default, no equalisation of any kind. I think it is louder also, on the same settings. But bass is stronger, a lot stronger.

As for sound quality ... i did notice the difference, for instance parts of song i never heard before .. but to some extend this can be atributed to me listening more carefully.

This little device came with its own asio driver. Also a little program that has some settings in it. Things like playback and record stream ( playback audio format is set to 16 bit, 44100 Hz atm, is that allright ?), there is also asio cpl which has a setting for asio buffer size, right now it is on auto adjustment but i could change it. under asio driver status it says non active and bits per sample is set to 16 bit ( i could set to 24 bits). I also set volume to 80% in windows since it always hits tops ( i wanted to prevent any bad sound from going into red zone ).

I think my next purchase should be speakers, since 1 of the speaker cones on left speaker is not working ( luckily the smallest one :)) )

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Switching from internal soundcard to external dac - goblinsly 17:56:39 04/14/15 (1)
    • Super - JeffH 19:02:20 04/14/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.