Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Oh good grief!

"Aren't you curious?"

Not really. I'm pretty skeptical that it provides any audible benefits.

Have you read mitchco's review comparing JPlay to JRiver? I find it persuasive. Mitchco couldn't hear any difference between the two, and when comparing their respective analog outputs he got a null of ~ -90db. That's comparable to a distortion level of ~0.003%, not nearly enough to get me curious. And that was after having run the signal through an analog stage which will introduce noise to the signal. I suppose you could look at mitchco's results two ways: either JPlay does little to the audio output, or JRiver recreates the JPlay "magic" without the expense or hassle.

If we are supposed to believe people claiming to hear a difference with JPlay, shouldn't we extend the same courtesy to those claiming to hear no difference? If that results in competing, contradictory claims, why can't we then look to objective measurements to help us decide which side deserves more credence? So far as I know, the objective measurements all seem to back up those claiming to hear no differences. Are there any objective measurements out there that show JPlay making a meaningful difference in the audio output of computers?

JE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.