Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: what media player for older (XP) Dell computer? I just listen to internet radio with my Focal XS speakers

XP is just great for most things, including audio. I have been running an old Dell dimension 2400 with an M-Audio Sound card, since I like to record as well. A decent (24 bit capable!!) sound card or usb dac is all you need. I would also obtain an external usb drive to use exclusively for your sound files.

Foobar is great. It is a no nonsense platform for playing and organizing your files. It also works very nicely with XP. I have sampled some of the others such as JRiver, etc. Foobar is great and it's free (I don't mind paying btw and i freely admit that much of the free stuff doesn't cut it). I will also add that there is no music software that will take low bit rate and/or compressed material and make it sound better or more analog like, or magical as some zealots attempting to turn the sow's ear into a silk purse might claim or wish for. I would look for the application to be stable, use minimal resources, have wide ranging compatibility with different formats, and have good user friendly features.

I wouldn't worry about getting into high dollar stuff. My 2 cents is that 16/44 is not worth tormenting yourself to get it sound like analog (or even good) as it never ever will. I would even offer that much of the torment and neurosis that has existed in the modern audio world comes from the pursuit of musicality from crappy 16/44 media. I would ignore the hi-res naysayers out there; 16/44 SUCKS.

I would move toward 24 bit at every opportunity you have, which is to say record vinyl (for convenience) and download 24/96 files. The higher bit rate is where the sound is, not in expensive dacs, tube, usb, mystic tweeks, $20k or otherwise.

What I am saying is that ultimately, the computer will allow you to say goodby to the redbook format and the associated hardware which has been an albatross around the necks for those seeking better sound. Plus, you can record, and program your listening so you can lay around and listen to your 21st century jukebox.

You are making a good move.

-end

Edits: 03/10/15 03/10/15 03/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.