Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Pipo X7 Setup, Quick Audition, and some - pics

Just for grins I ordered the inexpensive Pipo X7 and it finally arrived this weekend. I figured I would play with it for a short while before shipping it to my sister for her kids to beat on.

My Pipo X7 is configured with the Intel Atom Z3736F quad-core CPU 1.33 GHz, 2GB RAM, and 32GB flash memory. It comes with Windows 8.1 32-bit.

A couple of the Pipo X7 online reviews got it wrong:

- Pipo X7 does not come in an aluminum case. The main housing is plastic made to look like aluminum. Inside the Pipo X7 there's a chrome colored plastic mounting bracket with plastic standoffs used for mounting the two internal printed circuit boards. The plastic mounting bracket is glued to the inside of the plastic case. The only notable metal I found was a slightly rusted bottom plate.

- The case does not act as heatsink as the CPU is in no way touching the case. Besides, plastic doesn't make for a good heatsink. Regardless, the thing draws little power and never gets very warm. However, I do question it's shielding properties since the case is plastic.

I ran the Pipo X7 along with JRiver, Foobar2000, VLC, and my PS Audio NuWave and Oppo HA-1 DACs today. I even went as far as messing with BIOS settings for core clocking and power management, along with turning off some services in Windows.

It's not bad but I still prefer the Mac with Audirvana Plus, and I much prefer OS X over Windows. No surprise.

Two USB 2.0 ports up front, power button, red LED, and mini jack

In back: 12V power jack, 10/100 Ethernet (no GigE), HDMI, 2 USB 2.0 (no USB 3.0), Micro SD slot, wifi antenna

Thin metal bottom plate, slightly rusted

Chrome colored plastic PCB support bracket and standoffs glued in place

Pipo X7 and external 512GB USB SSD for music files

Agilent (Hewlett-Packard) Linear Power Supply instead of the included wall wart

I might give JPlay a try before I box it up and send it on it's way.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Pipo X7 Setup, Quick Audition, and some - pics - AbeCollins 15:51:09 02/22/15 (37)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.