Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: RPi-2 + Volumio

OK. Now for the whole story..

I can manage to get Volumio going on the RPi-2 for short periods of time before it throws a fit. What I heard initially was good. When I tried the RAMPLAY mode the fidelity lifted a notch or two. There is quite a natural sound to it and I would rate it highly were it not for the problems that are currently plaguing it. Another issue is that the RAM size of the Pi means that one is constrained to approx 250mb loaded at any one time. This means one has to be moving files in and out of RAM constantly were they to be of moderate size and perhaps blocked entirely if they were greater than the threshold. Not convenient.

Given the above experience, what would really interest me is an arm-linux box with much more RAM & SATA or MSATA storage for OS. The latter because the controllers on SD cards are uniformly unreliable, IMO. And of course, one needs good community support as you have pointed out. As yet, the ducks haven't lined up..

Edit: Just to clarify, my comment relating to RAM size is only relevant for RAMPLAY which I consider to be the best. One also has the option of NAS or USB playback where there is no such limitation.

Edits: 02/20/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: RPi-2 + Volumio - Audio Bling 02:38:27 02/20/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.