Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Simple Mod Wyrd (for Merman et al?)

[It] uses the age old uA723 as voltage reference

It is indeed extraordinary that a voltage regulator chip launched in 1972 is not only still in regular use but is now offered in an SM package. The chaps who designed it must have wished they were getting royalties.

I recommend that anyone with a Wyrd should try this simple mod.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried by-passing the two 2,200 uF caps and found a small but worthwhile improvement on my "desktop" system. (I've yet to re-try it on my main one.) Where did you fit your +5v by-pass?

Another useful "tweak" I've just tried is something that, as it costs buttons, I've done to pretty well every linear PSU in my audio systems from power amps to the 12v linear supply on a LAN switch - adding transformer "damping" [edit]. In this case, it's across the secondary of the 6v wall-wart transformer. I used a 0.022uF Orange Drop and a carbon comp 330R in series as specified by John Swenson - see link.

You can easily fit it under the board directly by and to the power input socket. (There's enough height though I did insulate just "in case".) It makes for a slightly smoother sound without losing any of the Wyred's clarity.

Of course, the mods will void the manufacturers' warranty and incur their wrath. But they're worth a try . . .

D

Edits: 02/18/15 02/18/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Simple Mod Wyrd (for Merman et al?) - Ryelands 07:22:40 02/18/15 (1)
    • 5V? - fmak 04:40:20 02/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.