Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Can't comment on W8.1 but can comment on stock Ubuntu w/Alsa as well as ChromiumOS and ChromeOS

ChromiumOS and ChromeOS both sound terrific. ChromiumOS is a hefty git sync and some time compiling, I prefer them to Ubuntu, less things going on. Sound almost exactly the same, but you'll have to be friendly with HTML5 to get anything done in Chromium and its derivatives.

Best I heard was your custom Linux build, many many years ago (if that was you, I don't remember) in terms of streamlined bare bones systems. Lots of innovation in that space now, very good sound I get from my Bluesound node embedded device. I read some people like the MPD based Bryston player too.

I basically gave up doing it myself and now use Sonos almost exclusively for cd quality, for DSD and hires I still have to figure that out, got to fiddle with some new equipment and software first, that will keep me busy for awhile.

If you have any recommendation for Linux DSD playback that would be great. I tend to prefer that because it had been over a decade since I seriously used Windows OS. Although the Xbox One is really nice system I have seen, although that's not too related to the entire OS.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.