Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: 2015: The Year of Streaming - The death of physical media & downloads?

Well, maybe.

The chart from Neilson isn't very helpful as it shows % increase or decrease over one year 2013-2014 without indicating the actual revenue. No surprise that streaming may have grown by 54% as it has grown from a low base. For example I recall that Spotify reached its first 1 million subscribers only in the second or third quarter of 2014 (hoping that my memory is holding up). So that +54% may not represent a vast total revenue compared to other media as the value per stream is very low.

The decline in CDs nevertheless represents a major reduction in revenue whichever way you look at it as the value per unit is high compared to streaming.

The death of physical media will only occur when the copyright owners see that their support of physical media is uneconomic compared to other delivery methods. That depends not only on incoming revenue but also on the costs of production and distribution. The latter certainly give non-physical delivery an advantage.

Edits: 01/28/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 2015: The Year of Streaming - The death of physical media & downloads? - PAR 20:08:02 01/28/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.