Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Wyrd

There is a major improvement in SQ when using the Wyrd in a general purpose computer.

Agreed.

My main, "ultra-slimmed" Fit-PC2 setup (unsurprisingly) wouldn't recognise the Wyred so I tried it with a not-so-slim setup. The sound was certainly nice and clear and I was initially enthusiastic about the device but, after several hours listening, we began to hear an "edge" to it that had me scurrying back to the ultra-slim setup. I've repeated the trial several times and have confidence in my result. (The DAC BTW is a decent TDA1541A setup with a WaveIO asynch USB-to-I2S board.)

I did wonder whether, were I to repeat the "slimming" with the Wyred in the system, I'd hear an improvement compared to direct connection but, in view of the hours of mind-numbingly tedious work that would entail, decided that a little wondering was good for the soul.

OTOH, I'm now using the Wyred to drive a cheapo DAC on my "back room" system. Though it's a dedicated box, not a general-purpose computer, it does use a pretty old Atom board and an OS that has been only lightly "slimmed". Results are excellent compared to the relatively unfocussed, unconvincing sound that characterises PC audio "out of the box".

In short, it seems to me to be good at what its designers claim it's good at. It stays.

BTW, I had no issues with construction quality, which seems pretty good given the price.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.