Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Not sure why we want to test

If it's a live event then it would involve running multiple converters in parallel. If it's a master tape transfer, then one could play the tape twice, and presumably there wouldn't be any tape wear involved. But if someone else did this, you have no idea what they did. There is a lot of secret sauce involved in mastering, no matter what people may claim to do or not do.

My comments were directed to people who want to KNOW what the differences are with regards to format conversions. The only way to know this is to do the format conversions oneself starting with the same recording and then playback with the identical playback chain. This has the further advantage that by experimenting with different formats and different filter parameters one can train oneself to hear all of the various artifacts involved. This training will make the various "tests" that others come up with relatively easy. I spent the better part of 100 hours doing these experiments some years ago. In the end, I concluded that it was all a waste of time. The lower resolution formats were lower resolution no matter what I did.

The 44.1 kHz format could not transparently reproduce the output of my cassette player.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.