Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Wow! But thanks for doing the work for me

"That's the whole point. Get it?"
Laugh - all along.

"It's the same model converter running at a different sample rate."
Sure but what guarantee is there that they, the ADCs, sound/work the same? It's not unusual for professional test equipment to give different results. In fact it's not unusual to find a single piece of test equipment that gives different results when used in different locations using the same test interconnects/leads - and even easier to find when using different interconnect/cables or leads of the same manufacturers model.

And the DAC, ie. the playback device, is the same unit operating at different rates. What guarantee do we have that it sounds the same at both rates? In fact the test/evidence/results would equally well prove that the DAC, sounds different at different rates - if one wanted to assume the both samples (of the dual conversion) sounded the same. No different than assuming the DAC sounds the same at two different rates - which is what we have do in order to support the printed conclusion of this test. Or that the decimation and several other factors play no part in the differences heard. We believe what we want to believe.

"At the expense of stating the obvious, one needs a different clock to operate at 44.1 vs 88.2. "

Yea but again you assume the device(s) functions equally as well at both rates.

"Once again, it is the same model recorder running at the rate of the two sources."

And again you assume the recorders are equal and that they operate equally well at both rates.

Obviously, Goob."
Sorry you need to resort to misquoting my comment in order to try to score a point!

"Once again, you've introduced not one, but two straw men - not all recordings found in high resolution are "mass marketed" nor do the vast majority of folks who listen to high resolution recordings use a "portable player"."

It wasn't my intention to introduce a straw man - it was you who opened the topic on this test in this thread about a portable player.

Edits: 01/26/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.