Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: As he should but...

I think one of the points is that the level of extreme compression in mastering cannot be applied to vinyl (as it can to CD and other formats) as the vinyl medium cannot handle it. As such, vinyl will often sound better not because it is vinyl but because the mastering process -requires- that less compression be used when delivering it to vinyl.

The argument is that less compression can and should be used on CD as well and when it's done this way, CD can sound incredibly good on par with vinyl or better. I'm not sure Fremer will buy into that arguement though.

The same thing goes for CD vs hi-res downloads. On a freshly remastered album available on CD as well as 24/96 download (HDTracks), I found that the sonic differences were minimal. Only if I sat there critically concentrating on the CD vs 24/96 files could I hear a very slight improvement in the 24/96. Very slight, but who the hell listens that way? I suppose some audiophiles do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: As he should but... - AbeCollins 10:46:42 01/26/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.