Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Gee, Tony. . . the way I read that article you linked to. . .

I don't know what fraction of Firewire devices fail on hot plug. It probably depends on the electrical environment in the boxes and in the power wiring (e.g. ground loops, static electricity). I had one Firewire device blow up years ago, but it was in an ancient machine (c. 1998) that was a POS. I have yet to have a problem with any USB 2.0 devices.

Firewire works with my Mytek DAC, but I don't use it, because USB seems to work better. I connect the Firewire cable only to flash firmware, since there is no way to reflash the Mytek firmware over USB. Preferences are going to depend on all the software involved, including O/S, driver, driver interface, player software, DAC firmware, so YMMV. There are also various parameter settings associated with each of the above and these can interact in ever more complex fashions... So it may be that there is a different magic incantation that would make my hardware work better with Firewire, but I have stopped looking for it.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Gee, Tony. . . the way I read that article you linked to. . . - Tony Lauck 07:45:34 01/26/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.