Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

The DAC/converter is 80%

not a scientifically deduced percentage by any means, but I found that I had to spend like money to match the SQ of my Wadia cd player. The DAC is the heart of the playback system. Spend mucho $$$$ and get a quality product. Is that giant killer out there?? Heck if I know.

I personally use JRiver Media, but there are others that folks use with good success. JRiver has good remote apps for both Android and Apple. They've put a lot of thought into their software and it's a solid player/manager.

Windows or Apple? Choose your poison. Whatever you are most comfortable with is prob a good choice. You'll find out eventually via experimentation. RAM is a good thing.

WAV or FLAC? Try both and find out. Most cannot tell the difference, but some say they can :)) I say FLAC is good and easily tagged.

NAS, USB hard drive or internal hard drive, which sounds better? Put a couple of the same files different locations, listen and make your own decision. Most can't hear a difference. I use a couple WD external USB hard drives with good success.

Save yourself grief and don't use the laptops internal cd/dvd/blue ray drive. They are cheap and break easily. Purchase an external drive to rip with. They do a good job and are easily replicable.

Edits: 01/25/15 01/25/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.