Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Ranting about brickwall filtering and other issues.....

Next to jitter, I have found digital filters to be the next most offensive to achieving good digital sound.

In the video he calls full compression brick-wall limiting. Probably a recording engineer term.

I don't know the details of the reference tracks that were used for comparison, but he may be right that the HD versions were not compressed or compressed less than the CD tracks.

His point that most recordings have been trashed by compression is true. He is saying that the problem is not so much hi-res as it is compression in the mixing room. I agree. He does kind of beat the dead-dog though....

The amazing thing is that Pono generated so much cash from people on kickstarter. Hundreds of thousands of people were duped into supporting something that already exists and is essentially free.

At least this gives an idea of the support for hi-fidelity music. That is encouraging. It has definitely not died out. The celebrity name has brought this to the forefront and into social media.

Whether or not it will change the way that recordings are made is yet to be seen. Most recording engineers will still mix to make it sound good on a boombox or cheap car stereo, using lots of compression.

Edits: 01/25/15 01/25/15 01/25/15 01/25/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.