Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: IMO not that far apart

""In my systems they are, with KS consistently being more fluid and musical.""

That doesn't contradict what I've been saying. I do seem to experience loss of detail.

"....RME...."

When I received the UCX and hooked it up first time last summer, I was about to send it back immediately. It sounded pretty average to me. However. I wanted to get my active speakers working. I gave it a 2nd chance.
I built a rather high quality DIY linear 12V supply (Thel).
Applied silver cabling and quality plugs, additional buffering and filtering and shortened the leads. All in all were talking about a
150$ value. Guess what happened! The device suddenly sounded !!really!! good.
It's embarrassing for a company like RME to come up with such an average PS for a 1000-1200€ device.
Most other manufacturers do it exactly the same way though.
Next I hooked up my USB filter. That one also cuts the 5V line. The well
described improvements caused by USB filters were experienced. Apparently I also played around with USB cables.

Bottom line. Who cares about 1ns or 1fs jitter. Most of this I consider marketing BS. How all this gets measured remains an open question and usually makes comparison impossible. I do believe that the sideeffects
by introducing low jitter clocks - such as better and separated regulators, improved shielding and isolation, buffering, board layout - contributes more to potential improvements then the actual clock.

Cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------------

blog latest >> The Audio Streaming Series - tuning kit pCP

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.